Monday, October 3, 2011

Time to get the Word out there

I have been quilting for about 14 years. It all started when I wanted  my husband to get me a sewing machine for Christmas in 1996. I wanted to be able to hem my toddler's pants or add darts to their waistbands.

A good friend called and wanted to take a craft class in February of 1997. I told her, "only if it has to do with sewing, so I can use my new machine." We signed up for two quilt classes offered through Community Ed.

We were giddy with excitement. We bought fabric, got supplies and waited for the first day of class. We learned things like cutting fabric with a rotary cutter. It is like a pizza cutter for fabric!!! We learned how to strip-piece. We were floating on cloud nine.

I kept saying, "We are making a quilt. Can you believe it?"

Well after 6 weeks the class ended and the quilt was not finished. I went home and finished piecing it to the best of my ability. My abilities were really lacking. I basted the quilt and then quilted it. I was so proud. Looking at the quilt now I see the abundance of love, but lack of skill.

Here is a picture of the design. It was not a good choice for "a first quilt"!


Here is a close-up of the piecing and quilting. It is awful!

Another close-up. Thank goodness I did not know how bad it was or I probably would have given up and never made another quilt!!!!

After I finished quilting it, I remember laying the quilt on the floor and then laying down on top of it and wrapping up in it. I did not care that it was 2am and I had to go to work in the morning. I had made my first quilt!!!

Well that started my journey. God gave me this incredible love of quilts. Then He blessed this career woman who had never sewn with the ability to make quilts. My life would never be the same.

Proverbs 31:22
She makes coverings for her bed

No comments:

Post a Comment