Monday, October 17, 2011

A Young Man Sits


A young man sits in the church foyer with me.
We talk about how he got to this place.
He came from Los Angeles to our small country town.
He has a twin brother.
He loves music. He likes to read.

A young man sits in the quilt room at church.
We talk about school and his challenges.
He talks about losing his mom two years ago.
She was young.
He misses her.

A young man sits with me in the sanctuary.
He hears the word of God and is curious.
He goes to Young Life.
He parties with a wild crowd.
He wonders about God.

He asks me to make him a quilt.
I don't normally do this type of thing.
I make quilts for a reason, a gift, a baptism, a confirmation.
What about love?
What about showing this young man he is loved?

I decide to make the quilt.
It has bright colors.
It is big, so he can lay underneath it and feel God's love.
I ask for a piece of his mothers clothing.
I cut the pajama shirt apart and place it inside the quilt.


He goes to Young Life camp.
He accepts Christ into his life.
He parties less.
He prays to God.
He misses his mom, especially in January.

Where will he end up?
Will he let God really work in his life?
Will the quilt help him as he goes through life?
I pray for him to make good decisions and be smart.
A young sits by me. One of God's blessings.


No comments:

Post a Comment